Thursday, May 17, 2007

1001 reasons to live in Marrakech

When I think of Marrakech, the first image that springs to my mind is that of the Djemma el Fna and the souks. No doubt I will be posting at length in the future about these two most exciting (and not to mention photogenic) places, but today I want to show you the beauty that lies just outside the city - the Atlas mountains:



In July, my father and uncle are visiting John and I in Marrakech and we are planning to go into the Atlas mountains and climb the 13,665 foot Mount Toubkal. We will stay at the marvellous Kasbah du Toubkal:



After the climb, which the Kasbah claims to be quite managable for the reasonably fit, but which I suspect will be quite hard going nonetheless, I feel that an afternoon spent at Les Bains de Marrakech, a luxurious spa in the Medina (old city) of Marrakech, will be imperative, don't you think?



However, before any of that can happen, we have to *get* there and packing is continuing apace here in Dublin, leaving our home looking more stripped and bare by the day. As soon as I hit "publish" on this entry I have to start wrapping our pictures and mirrors in the bubblewrap which has taken residence in our bathtub. We are going so very very soon - just over two weeks to go! And before then, we will be visiting the Cliffs of Moher, Killarney, Prague (John, not me, though), London, and then finally a ball in Oxford...

[Image credits to Kasbah Toubkal and Les Bains de Marrakech]

No comments: