Friday, November 2, 2007

Bloganthropology and falafel



I am sitting here by a tall window that looks out on a courtyard of mature trees, diligently working my way through a raspberry pastry of epic proportions. Beside it, awaiting my attention is a pain au chocolat the like of which I never seen. I'm not sure I have the strength. Well. Perhaps I should be brave. Perhaps... oh dear, I just can't. Not even in the interests of bloganthropology (the careful study of other cultures for the benefit of a blog). Perhaps it is not such a blessing that we have a truly wonderful baker almost directly beneath our apartment...

Yesterday, we failed completely to acquire food due to a combination of exhaustion and the bank holiday, although we have high hopes for today. As soon as DHL puts in an appearance with the Famous Huge Lamp we will be going for some food reconnaissance at Rue Mouffetard, which holds one of the oldest food markets of Paris. While most people relish the idea of eating out in Paris, we are quivering with anticipation for eating IN. The sort of food to which places like Fallon & Byrne in Dublin had accustomed us was a little thin on the ground in Marrakech, and living in the Medina as we did (and without a car, of course) required trips into the Ville Nouvelle for the supermarket whenever we required something that the markets of the Djemma could not provide. I'm not a big fan of the meat on offer in Morocco, so my husband being a vegetarian was not a problem, but here in Paris, vegetarianism rules out the vast majority of the restaurants. It's not that the veggie option is a bit pathetic, it is that there simply isn't one at all on most menus, although the wonderful restaurants around the Rue des Rosiers are the exception with their huge arrays of falalel, hummus and other delights.

Please don't think I have forgotten about the new blog for Paris - I am waiting for the banner, and as soon as I have that, it will be up and running and I will post the link. I'm hoping for Monday the 12th right now and in the meantime will continue to post here. Original photographs will be back next week when my shiny new camera arrives.

Fabulous leek picture with credit to blog.vegkitchen.com - I like leeks. They are also healthier than pain au chocolat.

5 comments:

Misplaced said...

I just ran into your blog- welcome to Paris!

Sarah said...

Thank you! We're really happy to be here and in a world of easily available asparagus... (it's the small things that make me happy!).

Anonymous said...

And think of all the lovely cockle-warming soups and dishes you'll be able to make with those fabulous veggies: leek and potato. pumpkin and chickpea, aligot (basically mashed potatoes but with Cantal cheese to make it all stringy...!), mmm, roll on chilly weather! (I say this just as much for you as for me, as I adore Moroccan food but which somehow seems more suited to hot weather!)
Joan

Anonymous said...

Oh YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am doing a happy (yet chic and parisian)dance for you!!! So glad you arrived, how exciting!!! xxo

Anonymous said...

It's such fun to read your blog. Having found you only somewhat recently, I caught just the tail end of your time in Marrakech; but, I am looking forward to the new tales of life in Paris.