Sunday, August 26, 2007

Feeling a little delicate...






I am writing this from our terrace, sitting on a pistachio-coloured plastic chair, at a white plastic table, which last night bore two jugs of Pimm’s and a dish of delicious cheesy briwats brought by our guests, Maryam and her husband Chris.

This evening I am sitting at the same table, feeling a little under the weather (perhaps not so much the fault of the Pimm’s as the champagne and later, wine, which followed), I have to admit that I have completely frittered the day away, drifting vaguely around the house, eating leftover desserts and reading (Camus again, The Fall this time).

What I would like to be doing, if I had the energy and general will-power, is sitting in our latest discovery here in Marrakech – Grand Café de la Poste, pictured above, with its gorgeous 1920’s building and the colonial-style décor, which feels relaxed and authentic, rather than overdone or forced. Fabulously, the food actually delivers too AND, as my last post mentions, the place is within an easy walk of here, so I have a feeling that we will be visiting there a lot more in the future.

As for now, the sun is setting, the moon is already bright and the call to prayer has just faded away. I feel dinner coming on. Maybe first I’ll just reheat some of those briwats…


(I wrote this last night - right now I am sitting back in Grand Cafe de la Poste waiting for my monkfish skewers with curry and rice and with a bottle of Casablanca beer beside me - in addition to all their other virtues, this wonderful cafe has wireless internet!)

No comments: